I have been writing about abuse in families and churches for the past several years. It’s not exactly pleasant or easy, but I feel like it is making a difference. I want my words to be a bridge to understanding and safety and healing.
I wish I could share with you some of the letters that arrive in my inbox as a response to what I’ve written so far, but for discretion’s sake I won’t. I will tell you that they are heartbreaking. Families are hurting. Badly. Multiply that by the stories I read on blogs, especially by those who have been wounded by the patriarchal edge of the home schooling movement. Ouch. Oh, and the news stories. Sweet heavens, when will it end?
Why am I still doing this?
Because it still happens
Because it is serious
Because it affects people I care about
Because not enough people are aware of it
Because something can be done if people are willing to speak up and speak out
Do I write out of fear? No, I write because I have lost my fear. I am gaining new God-given confidence every day.
Do I write out of bitterness? No, I write out of compassion, because I can’t stand to watch people I love or even people I have never met get hurt.
Here is a list of links to most of my essays on abuse:
Domestic Violence in Families
- We Can’t Ignore Domestic Violence
- Let’s End Domestic Violence – Not Just the Awareness Month
- Why Couples Counseling is Not Recommended for Abusive Marriages
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month with Leslie Vernick
- Abigail’s Story: Responses to Domestic Violence
- Mara’s Story: Anger After Abuse
- Lynn’s Story: A Dangerous Engagement.
- Elizabeth’s Story: Domestic Violence in a Ministry Home
- A Story About Elder Abuse
- When Sparrows Fall by Meg Moseley (A Review)
- Child Discipline or Child Abuse?
The Dynamics of Abusive, Controlling Relationships
- Banging the Buttons
- Bonding and Bondage in Abusive Relationships
- Psychological Socialism: Manipulating through Equalizing Blame
- Recognizing Pervasive, Poisonous Power in Marriage
- What to Do About Toxic Power in Marriage
- The Bad Boy and the Angel
- Follow the Way of Love
- If You Expect Real Respect…
- Abuse Thrives in a Culture of Shame and Silence
- When Abuse Leads to Cynicism
- Moving on from Broken – My Church and Life Transition Story
- On Patriarchy, Scandal, Abuse… and Grace
- “It Became to Me a Dark Thing” (A Poem)
- Dignity, Decisions, and Liberty of Conscience
- My Thoughts on the Sexualization of the Church
- Why I’m NOT a Fan of Mark Driscoll
- King Jesus vs. Yertle the Turtle
Grace and peace,